Wednesday, November 26, 2008

WHAT MADE THE HAMSTER THRILL TODAY IN A WINGED-BACK CHAIR WITH GOOD COFFEES AND HIS NON-CYBORGIAN SPOUSE NEARBY

so i'm in this science-fiction bookclub. i've never read the science-fiction before. it's all new to me, as if i'm listening to klingon war ballads set to ukuleles. in the sci-fi, my eyeballs feel as lost on the page as my feet on the intergalactic dancefloor. but i'm learning. and the rhythm is climbing up my thighs, just about to hit my swinging hips. watch out, all ye worlds.

my friend tim recently got the sci-fi ball rolling with a small klatch of us bryan, texas literarians. thus far we have read FRANKENSTEIN by mary shelley, THE TIME MACHINE and THE WAR OF THE WORLDS by h. g. wells, and huxley's A BRAVE NEW WORLD. we're having a smashing good time working chronologically through six packs of pale ale and the major eras of science-fiction literature. at the moment, we are reading a smathering of short stories, compiled by our fearless leader tim, all penned and published during the golden age of science-fiction. 

today in a coffeeshop with my lovely bride, who is human and not made of robotics or cyborgian synthetic skin, we grabbed the only two winged-back chairs in the whole place and sat down to our readings. we have found that words and caffeine go so well together, a little tip i give to all of you. and while my wife enriched herself with gabriel garcia marquez, i plowed through the first of fearless leader tim's stories. and then i plowed through that damn thing a second time. and i freaking loved it both times. 

i am writing here to say that i have written my likings of the story over there, quite yonder in another webiverse where i sometimes fly my hamsterian planetary flags. please, i invite you to go there, to roam about and see this thing that made me thrill in that coffeeshop, in one of the only two winged back chairs remaining. life, really, it is too short not to thrill over words in winged back chairs, with good coffees and beautiful spouses nearby. so, yes, i invite you, even if you do not read the sci-fi, as i recently did not read the sci-fi, life is too short not to share in the bettering thrills of one another. 

thanks to clarks for reminding me to place my musings over here. i would have carried all this around in my pockets for weeks, my pant's legs getting heavy, thereby losing the ukulele war ballad groove that's almost to my hips by now. 

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I have to say that I enjoy your writing a lot, almost enough to go purchase my own copy of Frankenstein, but then I remembered my own quest of Gatsby so I'm thus deterred. Also, the fact you live in Texas just takes you up another notch in my book, so much so that I added you to my blog roll so I can be enlightened every time I click the name Hamster.

coffee just makes everything better, I have to say.

los cazadores said...

You live in Texas!?!?! ARRGGH!

(j/k.)

Cindy

Amber said...

Wahoo, a post by our very own hamster!!!

(he's only in Texas for school - then he's moving here to Fayetteville - I wish wish wish)